Meet Vipul Patel, MD
Dr. Patel is world-renowned for his contribution to the field of robotic-assisted surgery. He is one of the most experienced robotic surgeons in the world and has personally performed nearly 10,000 robotic prostatectomies.
Dr. Patel has developed techniques in robotic surgery that have translated to improve patient care and outcomes. His innovations have helped to improve cancer treatment and return of early urinary continence and sexual function. Dr. Patel authored the first textbook on robotic urologic surgery, written several textbook chapters, and published over 100 articles in peer-reviewed journals.
- Specializes in the robotic approach to prostate, bladder and kidney cancer
- Received his medical degree from Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas, and completed his residency and fellowship at the University of Miami in Miami, Florida
- Served as the Director of the Center for Robotic and Computer-assisted Surgery at The Ohio State University Medical Center for three years, where he was also an Associate Clinical Professor of Urology and Associate Professor of Bioinformatics
- Founder of the Society of Robotic Surgery
- Founder and Editor Emeritus of The Journal of Robotic Surgery
- Received Honorary Professorships from Korean University, the Asian School of Urology and the College of Medicine, and Ricardo Palma University in Lima, Peru
- Teaches advanced courses in robotic surgery for the American Urologic Association Performed, or trained other physicians in, robotic surgery and helped establish programs at Cornell New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Yale University, Lahey Clinic, University of Miami, MD Anderson, Duke University, Guys Hospital London (UK), The Royal Melbourne (Australia), Moscow State University (Russia), Beijing Military Hospital (China), Fundacion Puijvert, (Spain) All India Institute (India), Korean University (Korea), Tokyo Medical adobe University (Japan), European Oncology Institute (Italy), Karolinska Swedish Institute (Sweden), Albert Einstein (Brazil), Sirio Linbanese (Brazil), Clinica Marly (Colombia) and Clinicas Caracas ( Venezuela)